Strength

My two daughters like to go into the basement with me when I work out. Most of the time while down there they play with the "forbidden" toys, toys that we don't let them bring upstairs such as play dough and their bicycles. Lately, my oldest daughter Chandler has begun to mimick some of the exercises that I do. After I run on the treadmill she will get on it and and hold on to the arms, pushing with her feet so that she moves the surface slowly (don't worry, I have the treadmill turned off when she does this). Then, she will grab my wife's 3 pound pink dumbbells (I promise they aren't mine) and act like she's doing some weightlifting. Just this morning she insisted on finishing a whole plate of scrambled eggs because, in her words, "I need to get stronger!"

I love seeing my kids do these kinds of things. It reminds me of how diligent I need to be in my own spiritual life. The apostle Paul wrote in the New Testament of the Bible that we are to "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12 HCSB). This means that if you are a follower of Christ there is never a time to just sit around doing nothing with your faith. In order to remain spiritually strong we have to connect on a regular basis with God. Having regular times of prayer, studying the Bible, and then living out God's truth are just a few ways to "work out" our spiritual muscles. When you take a break from physiclly working out only to hit the gym again, your muscles will quickly remind you for days to come just how hard exercising can be. The same is true for your walk with Christ. Remaining consistent in your spiritual exercises can be difficult, and even a little painful if you've taken a break, but nothing will get you more prepared for the spiritual challenges you will face every day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting that restart is pretty hard and it really is hard to when that "next day ache" sets it. I've been known to struggle with staying consistant with my "daily workout."

Scott Schuyler said...

Dude, you copy cat! Just kidding! Good to read the thoughts of such a great mind! :) Da Dogg shudoggsmusings.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I had physical therapy on my knee yesterday and today my left butt cheek is killing me! Can you help me figure out the spiritual significance of that? U Da Man Sterldog

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...