How big is God?

You may read that title and be thinking to yourself, "Is this going to be some big theological discussion about the size of God?" The answer to that is an emphatic NO! God is Spirit and His size is infinite so the question of God's size is already answered. What I am wanting to know is how big God is to you.

I'll be the first to admit that I tend to limit God. Sure, I know that He is limitless and nothing is impossible with God, yet I will still view circumstances as beyond anyone's control. When I do that I tend to subscribe to "Hands Up Theology," a form of theology different than that of the Charismatics. It involves the throwing up of the hands in the air in discouragement and just giving up. "Hands Up Theology" is nothing more than a small view of God, one in which we don't or won't acknowledge that God is sovereign and is more than able to fulfill His purposes and plans regardless of whether we trust Him or not. It pains me to say this but sometimes I see God as small.

The Bible is bursting with examples of people who refused to embrace a small view of God. Noah, Joseph, Moses, Jonathan, the woman Jesus healed with an issue of blood, Stephen, Cornelius, Paul, and many others saw God as bigger than they could imagine. That view of God allowed them to confidently move forward with His purpose for their lives and as a result everyone around them saw just how great God was as well. It really doesn't matter how big or small I see God. He is God and "is able to do above and beyond all that we ask or think" (Ephesians 3:20). Let's not think about what can't be done but instead trust in God so that we can marvel at all that He can and will do.

No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...