What would (could) you do without?

I was driving in my car yesterday when I go pulled up behind a big logging truck at a stop sign. As I was waiting for the driver to turn, I noticed a small green bumper sticker on the back of the truck, and I couldn't help but laugh when I read it. The sticker read: "If you have a problem with logging, see how you like using plastic toilet paper. " The logging company was sending a clear message: You may not like the fact that we cut down trees, but you also wouldn't like to do without the many things that trees provide.

That sticker got me to thinking about what I am willing to do without as a follower of Christ. Jesus told His disciples (and anyone else who would follow Him) in Luke 14:25-33 that they had to be willing to "count the cost" if they were to follow Him. Jesus meant that we would have to consider all of the costs, sacrifices, and setbacks that could occur if we were to follow Him with our lives. Becoming a follower of Jesus may seem like an easy decision to make, but it will require much from you. Are you willing to do without all of the stuff that our culture says will define you as important in order to be a follower of Jesus?

No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...