Say it ain't so, Hannah!

Both of my daughters - especially my 6-year-old - really like Hannah Montana. So you know that a lot of her stuff was coming their way this Christmas. But I've got a beef with this Hannah Montana girl.

First, about the only way to see her in concert was to spend hundreds of dollars to buy them from glorified scalpers. I know this can't be legal, but these guys were buying them somehow from the ticket outlets by the hundreds and then selling them for whatever they felt like. Then, once you were at the concert a t-shirt would cost you a cool $50. There was no way I was going to drop that much coin for a pre-teen concert. But then, out of the kindness of their hearts, the "Hannah Montana People" decided to show the taped version of these sold-out concerts in local movie theaters. Oh, and it only costs $15 to see it.

Now, I don't know exactly how much of the above the actual Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus is responsible for or even if she's able to control any of it, but all of it just stinks and sends a terrible message to girls like my daughters who think that she's all that. And if that isn't enough, listen to what we experienced with one of our Hannah Montana gifts this Christmas.

Both of my daughters received Hannah Montana dolls for Christmas complete with a change of clothes for each one. Basically this is a Barbie doll made to look like the TV character. My wife was pulling one of the dolls out of the box today and she was adjusting the pants on it when she noticed something that simply blew her mind: The Hannah Montana dolls are wearing thong underwear. No lie! There was a white thong painted on this doll!

What in the world are the Hannah Montana people thinking? I guess they don't care since their stuff is selling like crazy, but I think there needs to be some kind of accountability for all of this junk that they are marketing. Kids are in love with the show - which in itself isn't too bad - but it's all of the other things such as the price of concerts and t-shirts and racy dolls that I don't like and I certainly don't want my kids to be a part of.

So come on, Hannah, wake up and see what image you're putting out there. My kids may think you're great now but soon they'll see all of the garbage that's being done in your name. Hire a new PR person and get with the program!

No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...