One of those days

Have you ever had one of those days? I did yesterday. For the most part the first 3/4 of the day was just fine. Then, the trouble started.

During the day the cable that charges my iPod decided to stop working and when I went to use it, the thing was almost dead as a hammer. Then, I took Deacon with me to drive the trash to the dumpster on the other side of the church parking lot. Since he was in the van, I turned it off to quickly dump the trash and when I went to turn it back on...nothing. Dead as a hammer. Apparently the battery was on its last legs and decided to quit in the middle of the church parking lot.

So, I got one of the church vans and jumped my van off and drove to the auto parts store. Do you know how expensive batteries are? And this certain auto store advertises free replacement of your battery once you make your purchase, just not in my case. It seems that it's too difficult to get my battery out and it would take them too long to do so. Put that on my list of things to do today.

Just when I was getting to the point of discouragement, I heard a leaking/dripping sound as I was getting ready for bed. Upon investigation I found that water suddenly started dripping onto the hall floor from my air conditioner vent in the ceiling and it was making a small lake. It was also apparent that water had gotten in the ceiling and there was evidence of early damage to the ceiling as well. I opened the vent and found water leaking from it but I have no idea how to stop it or fix it. And, since it was fairly late in the evening, there was no one to call so I sat a bucket under the vent and was serenaded to sleep by a nice constant dripping sound.

As I pondered these things, I did something that I normally don't initially do when I get stressed with "practical" issues: I prayed. Since I am a guy, I have the innate tendency to want to fix things on my own thank you very much. Don't need any help, just get out of my way and let me work. But this time I listened to that little voice in my mind that told me to call upon God, and so I did. And even though these events stressed me out a little bit, I wasn't nearly the basket case I would normally be. That's because God's peace, as He has promised in Philippians 4:7,sustained me and let me know that even though from a human perspective the day wasn't that hot, it was still a day that belonged to God and He was still in control.

1 comment:

NeilTolbert said...

Dude that is a bad day. I have had my share of them also. Maybe not as eventful in the 1,2,3 order in which you experienced... but things go wrong.

Just Monday... never mind I'll write a blog post about it.

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...