Theological Thought

I was reading in Psalms 98 today when I ran across these words in vs.8-9:
Let the rivers clap their hands; let the mountains shout together for joy
Before the Lord, for He is coming to judge the earth. He will judge the earth righteously and the peoples fairly.

I was struck by the fact that God's creation - the waters, the mountains, etc. - are excited about the coming judgment of God. I'm not sure that most people (even believers) welcome such judgment, yet all of creation is eager for it. Why is that?

Romans 8:20-21 helps us to answer this question:
For the creation was subjected to futility - not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it - in the hope that the creation itself will also be set free from the bondage of corruption into the glorious freedom of God's children.

The earth is subjected to suffering and blight not because of anything it has done, but because of the sin of man (see Genesis 3:17-19). So God's judgment that leads to redemption is something that His creation is pretty pumped about. Should I fear God's coming judgment? Not if I have accepted His free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ and have striven to live a life completely devoted to Him.

No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...