Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, etc...

I was at the dentist getting my permanent crown cemented (which is a lot less painful than all the prep work) when my dentist made a comment about something that bothers him this time of year. He thinks it's awful that there are work places where employees can't say "Merry Christmas" and how our culture has become so PC that "Happy Holidays" is now the norm.

Of course, when he asked me my opinion I sounded like one of the adults on Charlie Brown with my cheeks numb and my mouth filled with fingers and gauze. When I could speak, I told him that it really didn't bother me all that much when commercials and retail store clerks and media outlets only say "Happy Holidays." Nor does it bother me when the world around me ignores the cries to "Keep Christ in Christmas."

You see, it's not the world's job to celebrate the Savior - it's mine. When commercials and politicians and TV shows proclaim "Happy Holidays!" they are simply expressing good wishes for the season, and I have no problem with that at all. I hope that all of you enjoy this holiday season, especially your time off from work and school and your extra time with family.

My point is, why do so many followers of Christ expect those who don't follow Christ to be the ones to point out how great He is? And why do so many believers get bent out of shape when those who don't worship the Savior refuse to utter the praises of His name? I would love for all to adore and worship my Jesus, but to expect them to just because it's Christmas doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

No one has taken Christ out of Christmas. It can't be done. But it sure can make you hot under the collar if you spend all of your time wondering why "they" don't acknowledge Christ instead of glorifying Him with your words and your own life. Don't expect secular agencies to exalt the Savior that you love and serve.

Ironically enough, when my dentist finished up with my crown and left the room, he turned to me and said, "Happy Holidays!"

No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...