Refocus

If there was ever a procedure that I want done to me it's laser eye surgery. Right now I am a contact wearer but it gets tougher and tougher every day because they seem to irritate my eyes more than they used to. My glasses work fine, I just don't enjoy wearing them, especially if I'm wrestling with my kids (they always play dirty and go for the glasses). But of course if I don't wear them, I can't see clearly.

There is that period of time between taking out my contacts and putting my glasses on the is a blur. If I don't put my glasses on, eventually my vision will clear up a little bit but not enough for me to read or see very far. It's not until I put my glasses on that everything comes into perfect focus.

I don't know what it takes for me as a follower of Christ to be fully in focus. The periods in my life when my walk with Christ are hazy at best seem to glare at me with tremendous ferocity. Why do I sometimes get lazy and undisciplined? Why do I do the things that I don't want to do (Romans 7)? How is it that sometimes I can't seem to get enough of God's Word while at other times I can't seem to even open up the cover? Why to constant struggle to refocus?

The answer for me lies in that transitional period between seeking and sulking. There are so many distractions that can keep me from focusing on Christ, and those same things also keep me in a state of partial vision. I can see just enough to make out my Savior and thus be somewhat comfortable but not well enough to follow Him with any precision. My goal, then, is to daily focus on my Lord and let nothing from the outside blur my vision. I must therefore decide to either keep my glasses on or my contacts in instead of settling for temporary blindness.

No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...