Being a Man Part 2

For those of you who are married or are in a relationship, do you remember when you first laid eyes on her? Did you get the warm fuzzies? I know I did. Did you find yourself doing little special things for her that you hoped would make her understand just how special she is to you?

Things often change as times marches on. I will be the first to admit that while my love for my wife has only grown in our 10 years of marriage, my actions that display that love have diminished. Sure I've surprised her at work with something special and I've gotten her the occasional surprise gift or two, but not like I used to. I'm certainly no relational guru, but I do believe that there is at least one certain responsibility that men must fulfill to keep the magic in their relationships (and I only list one here...there is more).

What immediately comes to mind is whether or not I still make my wife feel special. If she were to walk into a crowded room, do I light up when I see her and make a beeline in her direction? Do I drop what I'm doing to let her know that I love her and offer a hug or some cuddle time? Am I willing to change my plans so that I can spend some extra time with her?

Let me go back to the words the apostle Paul penned in Ephesians 5:25 where he wrote, "Husbands, love your wives, just as also Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her." Even if you aren't married I think you can gather the powerful message of this passage. As King, Jesus became a servant so that we could be brought into His royal family. No king should die the way that Jesus did, yet He wouldn't have it any other way. His love for us was just that strong. If I love my wife that way, then I am allowing her to feel just how strongly my love is for her. Her first, me last.

Our culture doesn't shape us like that, does it men? There certainly isn't anything wrong with enjoying a ballgame or a night out with the guys, but too often our relationships get placed on the altar of sacrifice for those things. I've heard all the talk of a woman's place being in the home, blah, blah, blah, but let me tell you that many women are called to things well beyond the home. Speaking from personal experience, my wife has an incredible ministry ministering to women at a local hospital that I wouldn't change for the world. It's more than her job - it's her calling and she endeavors to do it well.

Men, if you really want to be head of the home then learn to cherish your wives and be there for them. The Bible tells us that men are to be the heads in the home, yet I believe this has become such an explosive issue because oftentimes the man is not much of a leader. Guys, it's time to be a man. Go beyond the realm of just gift giving or face time in your relationships. Live that reality just as Christ lived that reality for us.

No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...