Separation Anxiety

Kellie and I are now going through our fourth episode of separation anxiety, this time with Emme. Whether we are dropping her off in nursery at church, leaving her with a sitter, or simply leaving the room, she will let us know that she is not happy about it. It's nice to know how much she loves us and wants to be with us.

Fast forward to when the kids get a little older. Now when I leave, they're okay with it. In fact, my oldest can't have me leave soon enough when I drop her off at school and she's not even 8 years old yet. If I'm out of town or gone for the better part of the day, they let me know how much they missed me but it's not the same when they were just toddlers.

How much do you miss being with God? The Psalmist wrote in Psalm 42:1-2, "As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for You, God. I thirst for God, the living God. When can I come and appear before God?" (HCSB) He wrote that whenever he was away from God he suffered some serious separation anxiety. Nothing bothered him more than not being in the presence of the Lord.

Aren't there times when you've felt that way? Maybe it was when you surrendered your life to the Lord or perhaps it was when you were in the midst of personal revival. Those times life with God were all you could think about. Is it like that now?

We know that God never leaves us alone. He searches us and observes us, knows our inmost thoughts, and we cannot escape His presence (Psalm 139). There is not and will not be a time when God decides to stop pursuing us. That separation falls squarely at our feet. If you could measure it right now, what would be the distance between you and the Lord?

No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...