Reminders

When I am away from my family for any length of time, I am constantly confronted with reminders of just how much they mean to me. If I see another family enjoying a meal or time together, I am transported in my mind to my own wife and kids and I instantly miss them. Sights and sounds, messes and chaos all remind me of just how blessed I am.

As a follower of Jesus Christ, should I have to be reminded of just how much He paid to redeem me? I mean, how often every day do I stop and reminisce about the gospel and its radical expression of love for me? It's not that I don't realize the magnitude of the grace of God - I dwell on it daily as I spend time in the Bible. But how often do I get sidetracked with other, more trivial activities that suck the life out of me and demand my vitality? Do I put as much passion in my worship of the Creator God who sacrificed all for me as I do in yelling at the TV when my favorite sports team is on?

I want to be reminded daily, even hourly - better yet every minute - of the gospel of Jesus Christ and how grace has been lavished on me through the cross. I don't want to find myself numb to what is most dear and precious to me. So I invite you to take a few moments to join me in meditating on those reminders that should always captivate our hearts and minds:
But God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us! (Romans 5:8)
He made the One who did not know sin to be sin for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:21)
Therefore no condemnation exists for those in Christ Jesus, because the Spirit's law of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1-2)
For God who said, "Light shall shine out of darkness" -- He has shown in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of God's glory in the face of Jesus Christ.                        (2 Corinthians 4:6)
In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace that He lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding. (Ephesians 1:7-8)
Read these and many more like them in Scripture and be continually reminded of the great glory of God and of the weight and magnitude of your salvation in Jesus Christ.


No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...