Anger Evangelism?

I am writing these words both to my friends who share my faith in Jesus Christ and for my friends who don't. My reasons are twofold. First, I want to encourage and instruct my believing friends in the way we desire to see the lost come to faith in Christ. Second, I want to explain to any of my unbelieving friends out there why it is that it seems so many Christians don't like them.

To my Christians brothers and sisters. We've all seen the absolute junk that is grossly displayed in our culture and it has made us feel nauseated as we cling a little tighter to our kids. The world seems to be full of smut peddlers, users of profane language, advocates of deviant lifestyles, and those who mock our Jesus whom we so passionately follow. Some of these people we are at work or school with, others live next door, and a few might even be our family members.

Let's face it, when we see things that are morally foul and that run aground of what we know brings glory to God, we have every right to be repulsed if not even angered by it. We are not going to join those who participate in such activities and we are most certainly going to point our children in a different direction.

But should we hate those people that do these things? I mean, if I see a guy that has a foul language problem and likes to brag about his supposed sexual exploits, shouldn't I want to see him of all people come to know the hope and peace that only Jesus can bring? Admittedly, I probably won't ask him to babysit my kids anytime soon but I also should not put him on my blacklist and hope that my path never crosses with his. They need to hear about Jesus, right?
But how can they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how can they believe without hearing about Him? And how can they hear without a preacher? (Romans 10:14)
I know what some of you are thinking. That verse talks about a preacher going to tell lost people about Jesus, not you. Oh really? The word "preacher" here means "one who proclaims." Those who don't know Jesus need to hear the gospel. I can be totally angry with someone's sinfulness but that gives me no right to withhold the gospel from them.

Some Christians have become so angry with sin in the world that they have redefined their personal feelings as "righteous indignation" towards others as an excuse to basically write them off spiritually. That's a shame and that's also sinful.

Now, for my unbelieving friends (if any read this blog, that is). Let me tell you two things. First, I am sorry if you have come across people who claim to be Christians who also appear to be incredibly mean. Maybe your lifestyle to them is pretty nasty, but that doesn't give them an excuse to treat you as if you are not worthy of God's grace. That leads me to the second thing I want to tell you. Regardless of how imperfect me or my brothers and sisters in Christ may be, Jesus is not. He's the real deal. And He Himself said that, apart from a relationship with Him, your life will not be what it was intended to be, which is to know and be fully satisfied in God (John 14:6). Let me put it another way. If you don't know Christ, then I can't think of anything greater that you need than a relationship with Him.

Let's face it, anger evangelism doesn't work. Lost people aren't coming to faith in Christ because you rage against their immoral lifestyle. There is a difference between standing up for purity and the holiness of God and rejecting the baby with the bathwater. Loving the sinner does not condone his sin but rather it extends to him the grace of God.

No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...