Trust issues

There is a stack of bills on my kitchen counter that never seem to go away. Hardly a week passes when one of my kids doesn't need something for school that necessitates a trip to the store. How in the world did those shoes or pants fit them last week but today they are way too small? Our 2000 Honda Accord and 2004 Nissan minivan are still kickin' it, but for how much longer we don't know.

While this may sound like I'm complaining a little, it's actually my attempt to remind myself that I am not in control of most things in my life. I can't keep my kids from growing up and having needs, there is no way I can stop the hands of time when it comes to our cars, and unless I flee the country these bills are going to have to get paid. My wife and I work hard to make sure we are responsible in these areas, but ultimately we know that our provision comes from elsewhere.

Lately I've had my mind assaulted by two passages of Scripture that are wonderful and humbling reminders of where my trust should lie. I say should because there are more times than I care to mention where I find myself plotting my own little schemes about how I'm going to fix things all on my own. Read these verses slowly and then read them again, absorbing the truth that's in them:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6, NIV84)
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you. (Matthew 6:33, HCSB)
Honestly, I can't get the truth of these verses out of my head. I've been repeating them over and over again, not like it's some kind of mantra - which is just something you say repeatedly trying to convince yourself that it's true - but rather because they are true. God will provide because God does provide.

Some of you reading this are overwhelmed right now with responsibilities that seem impossible to fulfill. Others of you are struggling with disease and illness, whether your own or with someone you love, and you want so badly to believe that God is in control. Maybe it's a relationship that has turned sour and you are desperate to have it restored to health again. Regardless of where you are, God wants you to know something.

He's got it. God always has been and He always will be sovereign and in control.

When it comes down to it, your trust hinges on faith. God's word is true and it never fails. What He says He will do. It may not always happen the way that we planned it, but then again it's now really our plans that matter most. Do I trust God enough to believe that He will provide for all of my needs? Do you? 

 

No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...