Blazing a new trail

I believe that when big things happen in your life then you need to share it with the world. This post is dedicated to just that.

For those of you who know me and the journey my family has been on, then you know that we moved to the coast of North Carolina earlier this year in February. A new and challenging job had opened up for my wife and, while there was nothing on the radar for me, we sensed that this move was exactly what God wanted for us. So, we packed up our home and moved away from friends and family to a place we had grown to love through vacations but had never considered calling home.

As we began to establish our lives here, we began to get to know our neighbors in the community and we made it our goal to become active in a local church. Little did I know that the church we became a part of, Generations Church, would in turn become such a big part of us. I got to know the pastor fairly well and he made an investment in me, allowing me the chance to preach and lead within the church. Then as time progressed, the desire for me to be a part of the team was mutual on both sides and we began to craft what that would look like. God was completing orchestrating every move.

I have now joined the staff of Generations Church as a Teaching Pastor/Leadership Development consultant. Yes, I typed the word consultant. With a young church like Generations Church, there is such a great and exciting need for leaders to be developed and grown into maturity. I have a strong desire to meet that need yet I also have a strong desire to be little unconventional in my approach. So for the first year of my ministry here, I will be a part of the staff at Generations Church but will not be provided a salary by Generations Church. Instead, I have sent out dozens and dozens of letters letting family and friends know what I will be doing and asking that they in turn prayerfully considering financially supporting me for a year. In this capacity, will be operating as consultant to Generations Church, providing teaching and leadership development that will help to grow the church.

Sound crazy, right? I mean, can't all churches afford to pay their staff? The question here isn't whether or not it can be afforded but rather it's a matter of faith and trust. God is doing a lot at Generations Church and the focus is on being responsible with the opportunities that God has provided. For me, this means trusting that God will provide for my needs as I pour myself out for His service. If you click on this link you will find a copy of the letter that I sent out to friends and family and, if you did not get one, please read it and consider it sent from me to you. You can also click on this link to read the letter that pastor Troy Knight of Generations Church included on my behalf.

I am excited to share this news with you and I ask that you walk along this journey with me with your prayer and support. God is always moving. The question is whether or not we will join Him in the work that He had already started.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thrilled to have you on staff at Generations! So glad your family has made Generations your church family here in Southport :)

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...