Just another post about what everyone else is posting about. Kind of.

This morning as I was enjoying coffee on the screened in porch with my wife – which is what we do every morning (coffee, that is, and on the porch if the weather is nice) – I was scrolling through the YouVersion Bible app when I came across a devotional by Francis Chan. I will be the first to admit that I find many devotional plans that are posted online to be a little anemic if not cheesy, but Chan is my spirit animal so I clicked on the plan to see what it was all about.

To my delight, I found that he was inviting me on a 12-day journey through the book of James and he had included video clips for each entry of him explaining the text. Right then and there I began the devotional, with day one being composed of James 1:1-12. "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds." Yep, this is pretty relevant.

I'm not sure when Francis Chan wrote and recorded this devotional (which is actually more like a mini-sermon series), but I think it was before the pandemic swept fear and consternation across our planet. Did he somehow know that this would be needed? Anyway, I have read through the book of James on a number of occasions and have participated in Bible studies on this remarkable letter from the half brother of Jesus. Yet James is one of those books that keeps me wanting more, not that it doesn't deliver on the goods but rather I find that I never seem to be able to fully grasp all of the truth and goodness that are contained in its pages (which is why I have told my students over the years to keep on reading their Bibles – they will never exhaust the truth that is in its pages).

If I am truthful (which I try my best to be), I have been bothered by our world's response to the Covid-19 crisis, and not in ways that many of the medical professionals might agree with. I am not a conspiracy theorist and I know the virus is serious and taking lives, but as someone who almost died back in January of this year from heart issues, this virus honestly doesn't scare me. It bothers me that so many around me are living in fear. As a follower of Jesus, I have been conflicted as to how I should voice my doubts. For one, I don't want to come across as some callous jerk who is accused of not caring about the value of human lives, especially those who are suffering (and have died) from this virus. And I also don't want to appear so reckless as to be labeled as one who throws all caution to the wind in the name of economic (and personal) freedom while others are still scared out of their minds.

So in response, I haven't really responded. At least not in a public forum I haven't. I have been so careful to not post anything on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram that would either alienate me from others or unwittingly join me to a radical cause that I never signed up for. And if I am being honest (again, I am), I have felt vindicated because in the end, as long as I don't say it, then I can't be held accountable for it.

But then James threw me for a loop this morning:
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)
Have I been directly affected by Covid-19? Not personally, even though I hurt for those in our world who have suffered not only physically from the virus but who have also lost jobs and experienced financial setbacks. But at the same time, I realize that I am part of a collective suffering that pretty much everyone is going through. Most people that I know miss being together, that sense of community that "social distancing" has taken away from us.

As I read these verses I was reminded that my response to suffering is not to complain or to find some moral higher ground to plant my flag. Rather, my response is to persevere in the Lord. Honestly, I don't know that Jesus really cares that I can't go sit on the beach like I used to or that some of my favorite stores are still closed. But I do believe that Jesus wants me to respond in such a way that points others around me to the gospel.
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. (James 1:12)
In the midst of all of this, I am not called to be right. I am called to live for Him. And while I will still harbor my desire that these trials will pass and that those around me can regain footing in their lives – and find toilet paper – I would rather be known as someone who prayed more for our leaders who are making these difficult decisions than one who is busy criticizing them behind closed doors. Because in the end, we are all going through trials. I don't have the right to make it all about me.

No comments:

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...