Hurry up and slow down

I have a confession to make: I am terrible at waiting. If patience is a virtue, then well, I ain't got much virtue. Truth be told, this is nothing new. Patience and waiting on events and schedules to happen has always been a sore spot for me.

Almost every Christmas Eve growing up, I was the kid perched at the top of the stairs starting at 3:00 a.m. anxiously counting the minutes until the sun would begin to poke its head on the horizon so that I could finally get a glimpse of the glorious presents that awaited me. I eat the cookie dough before it goes on the baking sheet. I'm sure you do too, but I eat A LOT of it before it can be baked. I was the senior in high school that got on the phone with Wake Forest University to find out if I had been accepted because I simply couldn't wait for that letter any longer. Thankfully, they said yes.

So as I recover from my heart surgery at home, you can imagine this is not the easiest of scenarios for someone like me to play out. My doctors have told me that I cannot drive for four weeks post surgery, I am not allowed to lift anything over ten pounds, and I must rest as much a possible. Now I love sleep as much as the next guy, but I also believe there is a thing as too much rest. Yet these are the doctors orders, from the ones who basically recreated my heart as if it was a ball of clay on a potter's wheel.

My days have been filled with cardiac rehab (treadmill, stretching, and yes, rest), reading lots of books, eating like a destitute goat so that I can put weight back on, spending some amazing time with my family, and coordinating class work with the many substitute teachers that my school has lined up to take over in my absence. All of these things are good and necessary. This isn't my first rodeo – I remember having to do all of these things twenty-four years ago when I had my first heart surgery. But things are different now and this is where my struggle begins.

When I had my first heart surgery in 1996, I was single, in grad school, and was able to recover at home with my parents, who to this day are still saints for putting up with me. This time around I have a wife and kids, a career, and many more obligations that require much more immediate attention. My life is different – better – and to have to sit on the sidelines like that kid who made the team but you know coach has no intention of playing is frustrating.

I know that may seem a little over dramatized, so let me step back a little bit. In the midst of what seems like useless time wasting, I understand why the waiting is so important even though I despise it. The body takes time to heal. Getting back into the game too early can be detrimental to experiencing a fully recovery. And the fact that I am even alive to be able to type this graphically illustrates that I serve a God who has allowed me to stay on this planet for reasons I may not yet even fully realize.

So hurry up and wait is what I will do. After all, I did have pretty major heart surgery. Nobody expects me to take the field right away. And while I wait, I will do my best to enjoy each and every moment that comes my way. Wishing I was here or there and doing this or that only serves to cloud my vision for what's right in front of me. And that is what God wants me to see. Not the things that I want to conjure up for myself but rather the everyday, even mundane, things that He has placed in my path.


3 comments:

Bo said...

Love this! What an awesome reminder to be present every moment instead of attempting to just hurry through them! That's the pace of Jesus - one that was slow & willing to be interrupted for the purpose of ministering to and loving those right in front of him! We're praying & cheering for you, Sterl! Glad to know that recovery is going well!

Unknown said...

I too have trouble waiting. I have always planned, planned & planned for future events to make sure I am prepared & have all the supplies (not just for me, but for my kids & husband). God does have a way to make you slow down, he has done this for me a few times, I am good for a while & then slowly slip back...Praying for strength to slow down & enjoy his many miracle. God is Great and we are pleased you are healing. Honey & Jim

Big She said...

We are so glad that God is allowing you to be here and “hurry up and wait”! You must say “thank you, God” for each day you get to be here and rehabilitate! Dude...one day at a time! “This is the day the Lord hath made...let us rejoice and give thanks in it”!
You are and have been such a blessing to our family! We love you and your family as our own! There is something special about each day...Big She does not need to remind you of that! The beauty of everything is so enhanced once we have been through things such as you (and I) have been through! You don’t want me to come down there! �� Keeping you in our prayers! And besides...we need you in November!
“Big She” ����♥️

My Story to Tell

I was hesitant at first to write this blog post. A big reason for that is because so many people have experienced a lot of life-altering eve...